Do you ever have a leftover wedge of pumpkin and don’t want to waste it? Here’s what I do….I use it to make Pumpkin cakes! These really are so good….Please keep reading….if you like banana cake or carrot cake, you will like this too! They are a hit in our house and perfect for the lunchbox!
Pumpkin and Date Cakes
pumpkin (about 400g peeled and seeded, any type of pumpkin or 1 cup of mashed pumpkin!)
90g soft butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup chopped dates
1 teaspoon mixed spice (optional or add cinnamon or other spice)
(Preheat the oven to 180*C
1. Chop the pumpkin and boil or steam it. Drain all the water and mash it well. You may need to drain it again after mashing. You need 1 cup of mashed pumpkin! Transfer the pumpkin to another dish to cool it while you continue.
2. Mix the butter, sugar, vanilla and egg until well combined.
3. Add the mashed pumpkin and mix.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently.
5. Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake/muffin pans lined with papers.
6. Bake for about 25 mins.
7. Allow to cool. You can eat these warm with a knob of butter. Or you can cool and serve with cream cheese frosting. I let them cool completely and freeze ready for lunch boxes.