Note: this is not a sweet slice, just perfect for lunch boxes and every kid I have served them to has loved them! But if you prefer a sweeter slice, add a little more sugar or use brown sugar!
Yibba Yabba Mama’s Chocolate Weetbix Slice
4 finely crushed weetbix/vitabrits
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
3 Tablespoons of melted butter/margarine or dairy free spread
1 cup of plain flour (wholemeal flour works very well here!)
1/3 cup of sugar (I always use brown sugar, but any type will be fine)
1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
1/3 cup of water
(*If you want to make this healthier…you could use coconut oil instead of butter, use honey instead of sugar and use wholemeal flour. You could even add in sultanas or other dried fruit. Thanks to my readers for the suggestions!)
1. Mix the crushed weetbix, cocoa and melted butter together in a bowl until well combined.
2. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and stir well.
3. Slowly add the water until all ingredients are well combined.
4. Press into a paper lined slice tin. (I make sure I have the paper hanging over the edge to make it easy to remove) Make sure you press it in quite firmly. (I use a regular slice tin approx. 18cm x 28cm)
5. Bake in a moderate oven for 15 mins. The slice will be quite soft, but will harden slightly as it cools. (If you leave it longer, it will make a crunchier slice, which some people prefer!)
6. Allow to stand in the tin for 5 mins. While still hot, spread chocolate icing on top (recipe below) and sprinkle with extra coconut or hundreds and thousands!
7. Allow to cool in the tin. Carefully lift the slice out and cut into small squares.
Store in an air tight container for 3 to 4 days. This recipe will freeze well. I cut this slice into squares and put the whole lot into a ziplock bag and into the freezer, ready for the lunch boxes.
*Use any chocolate icing. Here is my recipe:
1. Mix 1 cup of icing sugar with 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder. Mix in 1 Tablespoon of melted butter/margarine or dairy free spread.
2. Slowly add a small amount of milk/soy or water until you have a nice pouring icing consistency.
Go on…give it a try! Your kids will love it!
P.S. If you love weetbix recipes…try this one: Cranberry Weetbix Slice! Recipe here: https://yibbayabbamama.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/cranberry-weetbix-slice/