Homemade sausage rolls taste so great! You will be surprised at just how easy they are to make. I prefer not to use a packaged sausage mince, I don’t like all the additives and fillers and…it is so easy and much healthier to make your own! This is a great weekend cooking project for you and the kids, the whole family will love them…and the kids won’t even notice the hidden veges!
Homemade Sausage Roll Recipe
250g beef mince
250g pork mince
1 cup grated carrot
1 onion finely chopped (use a food processor if you like)
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons mixed herbs (dry or fresh)
1 teaspoon mustard powder or curry powder
(Optional: salt and pepper to season)
4 sheets puff pastry (Cut each in half to make 8 pieces)
1 beaten egg and 1 tablespoon milk to glaze pastry
1. In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well! (Too easy, the kids will love to get their hands in and mix for you!)
2. Divide the mince mixture into 8 log shapes and place on the middle of each pastry piece.
3. Fold one half of the pastry on top of the mince log and overlap the other on top to form the sausage roll. Repeat with remaining mince and pastry.
4. Brush each roll with egg and milk glaze. Cut each into 8 pieces. (Make sure the overlapping pastry is on the bottom)
5. Place on 2 paper lined trays and bake at 200˚C for about 25 mins. You may need to turn the sausage rolls over and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes.(see tip below!)
6. Serve with tomato sauce! Yibba Yabba Yummy!
Notes: If you are making these for toddlers or young children, you won’t need to add any salt or pepper. If you are making them for adults, season with salt and pepper and you may want experiment by adding a dash of worstershire sauce, more curry powder etc)
Tip: These do tend to ooze a bit which can make the pastry soft, so after 25 mins I replace the baking paper with a new piece and turn the sausage rolls over and bake for a further 10 mins or until the bottoms are browned.
As always, if you do make these, please let me know how it went! Enjoy!