This would have to be one of our kids’ favourite breakfasts! We usually serve them for guests – because they look a bit fancy and we get so many compliments about them! They are quick and easy to make. Serve on their own or dress them up with crispy bacon, smoked salmon, spinach leaves or baked beans! Yibba Yabba Yummy!
Baked Eggs in Bread Baskets
Ingredients: (Perhaps allow one for each child and two for the adults)
Sliced bread, crusts removed
1. Preheat your oven to 200˚C
2. Butter your bread. I only do once side, but hubby loves butter, so he has both sides buttered! Carefully press each slice of bread into a non-stick muffin tin. (This is the bread basket) You need to have the buttered side pressed down into the tin, so it doesn’t stick! Leave the corners of the bread facing out.
3. Carefully crack one egg into each bread basket. Don’t worry if some egg spills into the tin, it will still bake nicely.
4. Bake in the oven for about 15 mins. This will depend on how you like your eggs, so check them from 15 mins. (15 mins gives me a firm white but a runny yoke, a few minutes more will give a firmer yoke)
5. They should be nice and easy to lift out. You may need tongs or a spoon if they are too hot to handle.
6. These are fine to serve as is, but feel free to add crispy strips of bacon, smoked salmon, spinach leaves, asparagus or baked beans! (Go as fancy as you like!)
Enjoy! These are a lovely weekend breakfast! (Sometimes we even have them for dinner when hubby is away!) Do let me know how you go!