These scrolls can be sweet or savoury and are a yummy lunch box addition or after school snack! Toddlers love them too! Best of all…they can be stored in the freezer! Get the kids to help, so easy they can do most of it themselves. Yummy! (A great school holiday or weekend activity!) Happy Baking!
Basic Scroll Recipe
1 and a half cups of self raising flour
2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
Half a cup of milk
(See below for filling ideas!)
1. Rub butter into the flour with your fingers.
2. Add all the milk and mix with a spoon until a dough forms. You may need to add a few more drops of milk.
3. Knead the dough on a floured surface.
4. Roll out into a rectangular shape.
5. Spread with toppings.
6. Roll up the long side of the scroll.
7. Cut into 12 to 14 pieces and place each one flat onto a paper lined tray. Make sure they are snug and touching to help them rise up nicely!
8. You can brush with extra milk, egg or more toppings.
9. Bake for about 15 mins or until golden in a preheated 200 degree oven.
10. Cool and serve. Or wrap in plastic and store in the freezer!
Savoury Scroll Ideas:Pizza: spread with tomato paste/sauce and top with ham, mushroom, pineapple and grated cheese. Top with extra cheese before baking.
Cheesymite: spread with vegemite and top with cheese
Baked beans and cheese: spread baked beans and top with cheese
Sweet Scroll Ideas:
Spread with grated apple and sprinkle brown sugar and sultanas
Spread with grated pear and top with crushed walnuts
Spread with golden syrup
Spread with apricot jam and top with shredded coconut
The possibilities are endless! Yibba Yabba Yummy!