Chocolate cupcakes are yummy! Not always the best lunch box addition….unless they are healthier than regular cupcakes! So here they are, my Chocolate and Zucchini (Shhhh! Don’t tell the kids!) Cupcakes! I know you probably can’t imagine it, but please keep an open mind! Zucchini has little taste, so the kids won’t notice it! It also makes the cakes very moist so you don’t need as much oil!
Super easy…one bowl, no beaters and quick to mix and bake! Lower in fat, sugar and no dairy!
Chocolate and Zucchini (Shhhh!) Cupcakes Recipe
Half a cup of vegetable oil
3/4 cup of caster sugar (you can use brown sugar too!)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup self raising flour (wholemeal flour works so great!)
1/2 cup of cocoa
1 cup finely grated zucchini (about 1 medium to large size zucchini…don’t squeeze out the water/juice! *See hints at bottom of page!)
1. With a spoon or whisk, mix together the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla.
2. Add the flour and cocoa and mix gently.
3. Add in the zucchini and stir well.
At this stage you may begin to panic…yes you will still see the zucchini…but not for long! Be brave…keep going and get these into the oven!
4. Divide into 12 cupcake papers and bake in a moderate oven for about 20mins. (or 24 patty cakes baked for 16-18 mins)
5. When they are cool they will be ready to eat! (Suitable for freezing and perfect for the lunch box!) You could spread on a little chocolate icing if you like.
1. Make sure you let them cool completely otherwise you may still taste the zucchini!
2. Use the finest grater you have, as it will be less noticeable for the kids! (if you have fussy kids, grate horizontally, rather than at an angle to avoid big strips of green!)
3. For an extra super moist cupcake, add an extra half cup of grated zucchini (one and a half cups total) You won’t notice the zucchini taste, but you may see more specks of green! (I prefer the extra moist version and my kids (and hubby!!!) are yet to discover my secret ingredient!)