Are these a cupcake or a muffin? I don’t know! I do know my recipe is lower in sugar but still deliciously sweet, the raspberries add a lovely surprise in each bite! They are perfect for the lunchbox or afternoon tea! Happy Baking!
Raspberry and Chocolate Cupcakes
125g soft butter or margarine
1/2 cup caster sugar (brown sugar will give you a sweeter, slightly chewy cake!)
1/2 cup cocoa
2/3 cup milk
1 and 1/4 cup of self raising flour (wholemeal flour works very well and kids really won’t notice it! You could do a mix of white and wholemeal flour too!)
1 cup frozen raspberries (Smashed up or whole!)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees first
2. In a mixer (or use hand held beaters) cream the butter and sugar
3. Beat in the eggs
4. Gently mix in flour, cocoa and milk until all combined
5. Use a spoon or spatula to lightly fold in the raspberries
6. Divide the mixture among 18 muffin/cupcake pans (approximately…sometimes I get more…sometimes less!) and bake for 20 – 25 mins or until cooked!
(sometimes I make these into 30 patty cakes. Bake for 18 mins or so. You could also bake 12 extra large muffins!)
The smell from these is amazing…your neighbours will be unexpectedly popping in to see what you are making!
These are perfect by themselves, no need for icing. They freeze beautifully so make a batch and have them handy for lunch boxes or unexpected guests! Yummy! (My kids think these are ‘red velvet cakes’…I’m happy to go with that!)
If you want to make these a bit naughty or for a special occasion, add in half cup of choc bits or chopped up chocolate!