Home-Baked Chicken Nuggets
Home baked nuggets are much healthier, more cost effective and much tastier! You can use this recipe to make small nuggets or schnitzel sized dinner portions. You can also shallow fry these (hubby prefers them that way, but since I am watching his weight, he is more than happy to have this healthy version!) The kids will love these!
2 large Chicken Breasts
Fresh Bread crumbs (Use 6 or so slices of any bread and process them in your food processor/chopper) or store bought bread crumbs are fine too! Multigrain bread works well. You can season this if you like.
2 teaspoons of minced garlic or 2 garlic gloves chopped
Oil for spraying (Any type)
Optional: Salt and Pepper, Paprika, Fresh or dried parsley (or other herbs and spices to taste) You may find kids like the least amount of these!
1. Preheat your oven to 190˚C
2. Slice the chicken breasts into small sizes. (Nugget shaped or whatever!) Then use a meat mallet to lightly flatten the chicken. (You don’t have to do this, just makes cooking faster)
3. Make egg mix: beat eggs. You can leave them as is or add in garlic and any herbs or spices.
4. Set up a station for crumbing! Dip each nugget into flour, then egg wash and finally bread crumbs.
5. Lay nuggets on a baking tray lined with paper. Spray each nugget with a spray of oil. (You can be generous with the oil or sparingly for a healthier nugget!)
6. Bake for 15 mins. Then turn each nugget over and spray again with oil. Bake for a further 15 mins or until lightly browned.
7. Serve with some aioli, tomato sauce or whatever you like!
These are also great for lunches, serve them alone, in sandwiches or wraps!
This is a super fun cooking activity for kids to make!