Apple Carrot Cakes
These have been the latest lunch box yummy in our household! So light and fluffy and lower in sugar and fat and best of all, it freezes well! It is dairy free too, but for something special top with cream cheese frosting!
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oil (olive, rice bran or coconut oil)
1 large carrot (skin on, grated finely)
1 medium apple (any type, skin on or off, grated coarsely)
1 cup self raising flour (try half wholemeal)
1 teaspoon mixed spice or cinnamon or whatever you prefer (optional)
1/2 cup of sultanas (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 C
2. Whisk eggs, sugar and oil until mixed well.
3. Use a spoon to gently mix in the grated carrot and apple.
4. Lightly fold in flour and spice. If you like sultanas, add them in now too.
5. Place mixture into a paper lined tin. I use a rectangular slice pan, 28cm x 18cm. You could also use a square pan. Bake for 25 to 30 mins or until cake begins to brown and is cooked in the middle.
6. Allow to stand in the pan for at least 10mins then lift out and place on a wire rack to cool. (I leave the paper on)
7. You can serve this just as is or drizzled with lemon icing. (Great for the lunch box!) or you can spread with cream cheese frosting!
8. Cut into squares and serve now or freeze for lunchboxes or later!