These little carrot cakes are light, fluffy and so yummy! Lower in fat and sugar – perfect just as they are so pop one in the lunchbox! (Freezer friendly too!) For something special, add some cream cheese icing!
1/2 cup oil (try Olive or ricebran oil)
1/4 cup golden syrup (or use honey)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup Self-Raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice (optional or use cinnamon)
2 cups finely grated carrot (leave the skin on. It is about 2 medium sized carrots)
Optional: 1/3 crushed walnuts and/or sultanas
1. Preheat your oven to 170C
2. In a large bowl use a whisk to combine oil, syrup, vanilla, eggs and sugar.
3. Gently fold in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice.
4. Gently add in the grated carrots. Also add in walnuts or other additions.
5. Divide the mixture evenly amongst 12 cupcake pans and bake for about 25 minutes – just lightly browned.
6. Serve them warm with butter or just as they are. Allow them to cool and freeze straight away or top with lemon icing or cream cheese frosting.