Cranberry Weetbix Slice
Here’s another weetbix slice that is perfect for lunch boxes! It has been a hit in our house this week, hopefully it will be in yours too! This is not a sweet slice, the icing makes it sweeter for the kids to enjoy it. You can add more sugar if you prefer it. Much healthier than regular slices, lower in fat and lower in sugar…you and the kids will love this one!
4 finely crushed weetbix or vitabrits (use your processor or bash them in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin!)
3 tablespoons of melted butter (or margarine or dairy free spread)
1 cup plain flour (wholemeal flour works great too!)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup sugar (caster, raw or brown!)
1 cup dried cranberries/craisins (I chop them up roughly to spread them out)
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence (OR if you prefer a lemon taste… 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. You can also add 1 tablespoon of lemon zest or to your preferred taste!)
1. Preheat your oven to 180C
2. Add melted butter and vanilla essence to the crushed weetbix and stir well. (If you are using lemon juice and zest add it now)
Mix melted butter with crushed weetbix
3. Mix in the flour, coconut, sugar and cranberries. Stir well to combine all ingredients.
Mix in the remaining dry ingredients, including cranberries
4. Slowly pour in the water and mix well.
Pour in the water and mix
5. Firmly press the mixture into a paper lined slice pan. (I use a 18cm x 28cm approx sized pan and allow the paper to hang over the edge to make it easier to lift out!)
Press in using your hands and bake!
6. Bake for 15 mins for a soft chewy slice or about 18 mins for a harder crunchier slice. It will come out soft but will harden as it cools!
7. Stand for 5 mins. While still hot pour on icing (I like to use Lemon icing, recipe below) and sprinkle with extra desiccated coconut. Allow to cool completely in the tin. (You can spread the icing on the whole slice or drizzle half the quantity with a spoon for less icing.)
Lemon icing tastes great in this slice
sprinkle with more coconut!
8. When cool slice into squares and serve. This slice freezes well!
Here are some variations:
Instead of icing, add in half a cup of white chocolate chips or drizzle melted white chocolate on top!
Apricot and coconut slice: substitute the cranberries with chopped dried apricots.
Apple and sultana: substitute the cranberries with Finley chopped apples and sultanas.
Don’t forget my chocolate weetbix slice! You can find the recipe here: http://wp.me/p3wks7-16
(To make this healthier try using coconut oil instead of butter, honey instead of sugar and use wholemeal flour.)
*Lemon Icing Recipe: (mine is a basic one, use your preferred one!)
Combine 1 cup icing sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and stir well. You may need extra lemon juice, water or milk to mix it to a thick pouring consistency. You can add some zest on top of the coconut too!