Apricot Coconut and Honey Weetbix Slice
Here is another super yummy lunch box recipe! It is lower in fat than most slice recipes and no added sugar…it is sweetened with honey and apricots! (I do use sugar in the icing though!) It is a winner in our house, yours too I hope!
3 Tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons honey
4 crushed weetbix (or 1 cup of leftover crumbs!)
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup plain flour
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 egg (beaten)
1. Preheat your oven to 180C
2. Combine melted butter, honey and weetbix. Mix well.
3. Add in flour, coconut and apricots. Mix well.
4. Mix in the beaten egg until well combined.
5. Using your fingers, press the mixture into a paper lined slice pan. I use a 28cm x 18cm slice pan (approx!) I make sure extra paper hangs over the sides to make it easy to remove!
6. Bake for 15 minutes or so. (Don’t over bake or it will be too dry! It will be soft when you take it out of the oven, but will harden as it cools)
7. Allow it to cool for 5 mins. Then pour on some icing. Use plain icing, vanilla or lemon. (1 cup icing sugar with some water/milk/juice will be fine for a simple icing)
8. I like to top my slice with 1/4 cup extra coconut and 2 finely sliced dried apricots. Sometimes I use a Passionfruit icing….yummy! Allow the slice to cool completely then slice into squares or rectangles.
This slice is perfect for after school, in the lunch box or whenever! It freezes well too!