I don’t actually know what to call these! They are kind of like quiche but have no pastry, a bit like a slice but I cook them in a muffin tin! No oil, low fat, lots of veges and high in protein! Perfect for the lunch box or even a quick midweek lunch or dinner!
Egg and Veggie Pies
2 cups of vegetables (I often use 1 grated carrot and 1 grated zucchini) OR (a slice of grated pumpkin and a small tin of corn) You can also use 2 cups of frozen vegetables eg peas, corn and carrots!)
1 cup (approximately!) of diced bacon, chopped ham or a small tin of tuna or salmon
1 cup Self Raising Flour (Wholemeal flour works very well here!) (*You can make this without flour! They won’t rise as much and won’t have a ‘crust’ on the bottom, but the taste will be fine!)
1 cup grated low fat cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 finely chopped clove of garlic
Seasoning (salt, pepper and fresh or dry herbs)
1. Preheat your oven to 200 C
2. In a large bowl whisk eggs, garlic and any seasoning.
3. Fold in vegetables and bacon, ham or tuna.
4. Lightly mix in the flour (remember you don’t have to use flour! Gluten free flour will work fine to make a crust)
5. Add in the cheese and mix gently until all combined.
6. Pour into a 12 case muffin tin. You can use cupcake wrappers or grease the tins. (I like to use these café style muffin wrappers)
8. Serve with a salad for dinner or allow to cool and pop into the lunch box…they are delicious hot or cold!